Friday, January 27, 2012

"Baby B" Leon Gregory Lobato

Ok, I hadn't realized that it has been over a year since I have updated our blog so I will try and cover everything important. Our sweet boys were born at exactly 36 weeks ( exactly one month early). I was at home thinking maybe I was havig braxton hicks (fake contractions) but I didn't know for sure since I hadn't felt them before and I didn't know what to expect. So I started counting minutes between them just in case they were real. Reuben (Greg's brother) came over on his way home from work that night to bring me a grounding device and stayed untill after one thirty in the morning, since Greg and I are night owls that was not out of the ordinary. Right around 2:20 am I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep and my water breaks! Greg was laying next to me and I was like " Oh shoot.... Oh shoot, oh shoot, oh shoot! I think my water just broke." Greg jumps up and grabs me a towel as I carefully get up and walk to the bathroom i say " it's still going!" So naturally as everyone does, I get in the shower. Why everyone get's in the shower when their water breaks is unknown to me but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. I am sitting down in the tub thinking "this isn't it, I don't feel like i'm in labor" so I tell Greg just that and he tells me to call my midwife just to make sure. So I do and sure thing she says " if your water broke you are in labor girl, you need to go to the hospital" LOL. Shows how much I knew. So Greg being in a panick called Reuben back over, I don't know why since Reuben had never had kids before but I'm thinking just for moral support for Greg. So we pack up and go to the hospital, wait, get the epidural, wait, finally around 5 am we felt it was safe to call the family and tell them we were about to have the babies! Now since I had wanted the genders to be a surprise everyone was that much more anxious for the arrival of these twins. I was feeling every contraction even with the epidural in place which didn't hurt but I could definately still feel everything and that made for my cathedar to be very painful so they ended up taking it out per my very strong request. Finally they make greg put on a full body suit and shoe covers and a hair cover and a mask as we enter the operating room for me to deliver. Even though I wasn't planning on having a C section they had to deliver me in there since it was a " high risk" delivery, it was a very sterile and scary looking room. All white and with super bright big lights shining on me. I was able to move my legs and transfer myself from my bed to the operating table and that right there told me that the epidural was not working as it was supposed to. As the contractions started getting stronger I started feeling more pain, and as we hadn't taken any birthing classes I had no idea what I was doing. I started getting a fever and all my push attempts were getting nowhere. The doctor would tell me to push and hold my breath for 10 seconds while holding my own legs up, after a few of these I was ready to pass out. Not to mention the IV in my arm was in just the right place so when I would bend my arm it was super painful so every contraction I would push and hold and get dizzy with no result. Finally, and if you have never had kids you wouldnt know this, my midwife says "push like your trying to have a bowel movement" (tmi sorry) and miraculously i feel baby A start moving down the hatch. Now that we are making progress the baby shows it's head and the nurses start to take guesses on the gender based on it's crown. Haha! Me being on the top end not seeing anything I was listening to everything as one nurse says "it's a girl!" and I get alarmed not knowing the baby was out that much to tell as she says again " it looks like a girl head".... OMG! I was a little annoyed at them making me think the baby was something when they were just guessing. A couple more pushes and baby A is born. I hear "IT'S A BOY!!" and i hear baby's first cry and look at Greg and start to cry myself. Greg had been sitting next to my head the whole time rubbing my hair. The Dr. hands Baby A to greg to hold before they take him away and we await the contractions for baby B to get ready to come out. I guess with all that new room baby B decides to move around and flips or something because the Dr. reaches up inside of me and turns the baby in my belly, this was the most painful thing I have ever felt, next to giving birth of course. 20 minutes go by as I think " oh no I have to do that again!" and out comes baby B and I hear "IT'S A BOY!!", I look at Greg again and start to cry as I hear baby B's first cries. This time they put him on my chest and let me hold him before they take him away. My first thought is pure joy and as I look at him I think " who is this little stranger that I love so much" It is weird how the first time I laid eyes on this little person I felt like I knew him and yet didn't at the same time. Needless to say the labor went fabulous, no C section needed and I was rolled back to my regular hospital room, Greg went to the waiting room and announced to the waiting family that it was two healthy baby boys. For some reason the NICU (New born intensive care unit) was very busy that day. Since the boys were born a month early they were taken straight there and put in an incubator. I was very motivated to nurse my twins and so I wanted to go and see them and get started. For three hours they kept me from my babies and I was livid. Every time I called down to the NICU they said I could'nt come down to see them yet. This made me very angry. Finally I called and wa fed up and they said " oh i'm sorry no one told you, our doors have been open for an hour now", as you can imagine I was furious. So I went down and saw my two boys for the first real time together and they were beautiful. The lactation nurse helped me do the first attempt at nursing, and after that I went down to the NICU every three hours to nurse, determined not to let the nurses give them formula. We stayed an extra day on top of the three that they keep you at the hospital so I could continue to nurse and when I went home I was forced to let them feed them formula since I did not have a supply of breast milk to give them overnight. The nurses at St. Marks Hospital NICU were very difficult with me wanting to nurse them by the way and I ended up having a break down with the head nurse over how awful they were making me feel for wanting to nurse my babies. Reguardless, ten days later both of my babies came home the same day, with no medicines or oxygen or machines or special instructions like all the nurses told me would happen. I strongly beleive this was because of mamas magic milk:) And that covers up to the day we brought them home.
"Baby A" Julian Gregory Lobato

1 comment: